HISTORY OF THE FIN & FEATHER CLUB OF MASON COUNTY
From our archives that have survived throughout the years and the firsthand account of surviving original founding member, Mr. Bruce Wadel, we can look back through the years!
In the year 1935, at least seven local citizens came up with the idea of forming a conservation club of like-minded individuals. Those men were an insurance man Chocky Jensen, Mason County Under-sheriff Charlie Barton, business man Al Chinney, Ludington Police Officer B.M. Betka, George Haller, Burt Featherstone and high school student Bruce Wadel. It appears that two wives were very much involved in fund raising, but only men were allowed to be club members at that time.
After a public meeting with several men signing up as members, Harry Abrahamson was appointed President. Club dues were set at 50 cents a year and it was decided to make additional money by putting on plays.
The purpose of the club was listed as conservation, the propagation of fish and game and reforestation. An article of Incorporation was filed on December 13, 1936 and it was at that time, the Fin & Feather Club became a charter member of the newly formed Michigan United Conservation Club.
Around 1941, the club purchased a building that was located in Ludington State Park that had housed the Civilian Conservation Corps. (A Federal funded program for unemployed young men). The building was cut into eight foot sections and trucked to the clubs’ newly purchased property and became our clubhouse.
From those humble beginnings, the Fin & Feather Club has grown into a yearly membership of some 700 men, women and children. The clubhouse has been built onto several times, more land has been purchased, shooting ranges have been built, and the Fin & Feather Club of Mason County has become a club that the members can be proud of!